Nov 22, 2011

Journal m

Growing up my family traveled a lot during the summer time. Every summer we would visit my uncle and his family in France. Since I would go every summer I started to make friends with the local children. Besides spending time with my cousins I made friends with a boy name Joseph. Joseph would come spend time with my cousins and I, I would also go to his house and spend time with him and his brothers. Joseph was Jewish. Joseph and I would play every day except for Fridays. I didn’t know why he couldn’t play on Friday’s until he explained Sabbath to me. Sabbath is a day of relaxation for Jews. After a six-day workweek, Jews put aside all things of everyday life, spend time together, and relax. It is a day to recharge to be able to start the new workweek again (Hopfe & Woodward 2009). He told me that on Friday’s he had to spend time with his family, it was a time where all his aunts, uncles, and cousins would come to over to eat. It is similar to the way Friday is seen in Muslim countries. As a kid I didn’t think it was important, I actually thought it wasn’t a good thing because it took away from our play time.
When I became a teenager and started getting older, I started to realize the importance of Joseph spending time with his family. Now I know that Friday spending time with family in

Judaism, is known as Sabbath. It is a day to relax from the busy work week. It is a great idea because in the twenty first century we live extremely busy lives. We rarely have time to see family and friends because everyone is always so busy with everyday life.
I notice that even myself I am usually too busy to see my parents and siblings. I spend my days at university, studying for my classes, and see friends for a short period of time. Each person in family has their own schedule it is hard to coordinate family time. My father said that no matter what we have to spend at least one day a week together. Now every Sunday we spend time together. On the days that I do spend time with family, eating dinner together I feel that I am very relaxed. Also, it gives me something relaxing to look forward too. It is such a simple thing, yet it has such an enormous effect.
During family time I able to appreciate my family, it is truly a gift. My parents were the ones that gave me life; I believe that I should be able to show my appreciation by spending a few hours a week with them. My father is always very appreciative when his children come home to spend time together. My father always Thanks God that we have the opportunity to spend time together. It is a true blessing and I believe that whether you are Jewish or not you should have a day of relaxation.
I notice that not all my friends are able to have a day to spend with family and relax. In order to have a day of relaxation does not mean it is always spending time with family. Not everyone is fortunate to have a close family. The thing that I learned from joseph and realize is very important is in this busy life, no matter what is going on, it is very important to set aside a

day to relax and enjoy life. Once a person is able to relax then they will be more efficient in their everyday life.