Nov 10, 2011

Letter of Intent

I am writing this letter to request admission into JD law program, for September 2012 at University of Calgary’s Faculty of Law. Having worked at Alberta Justice and Attorney General as a Human Resource consultant and interned at KPMG, I expressed an early interest in law related career and gained both experience and skills that would be of great significance in my career as a lawyer. At the Alberta Justice and Attorney General, my research, analytical and drafting skills improved .I was able to establish professional and good working relationships with firm’s clients and colleagues alike. The experience at the firm developed my understanding of the needs of clients and strengthened my attention to detail. The work at the firm gave me an opportunity to work autonomously as well as develop teamwork skills.
The outstanding work of the lawyers in the aforementioned law firm impressed me and I equally intend to do exemplary work in the legal career. At the Alberta Justice and Attorney General, I had an opportunity to witness the employment problems and complaints firsthand and the need for support to individual employees by united union. The law school will therefore equip me the requisite skills and knowledge to make a positive contribution in the labor-law, employment related field and help address the legal challenges encountered in the employment and labor related fields.
I am a final year student at the University of Calgary intending to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Commerce and a major in Human Resources. I demonstrated my professional and strong work ethic during my undergraduate studies by participating in volunteer work and maintaining good academic performance. The volunteer work at the Calgary Drop Inn center and Canadian organization Big Sister Big Brother gave me an opportunity to serve the less fortunate in the society. The knowledge on law will enable me advocate and represent my clients, voice their grievances and seek legal redress thus promoting the cause of justice.
In addition, I am involved in charity work that I founded 3 years ago, where I cut the hair of homeless individuals thus making them feel better and beautiful. The compassion and urge to help the homeless motivated me to start the charity after I meeting an old lady who lost her home , due to the high cost of healthcare for her ailing daughter who later passed on thus leaving her financially drained and unable to pay her home bills. I decided to help her feel better by making her hair, just to help her feel and look better.
My interest in pursuing studies in law - a JD law program at the University of Calgary’s Faculty of Law is because of its reputation for excellent services. I am a self-driven and hardworking individual with an ability to contribute immensely or significantly to the reputation and continued success of Calgary University’s Faculty of Law. I have excellent written and oral communication skills. Presently, I am the faculty representative at the Haskayne School of business where I champion and advocate for the student affairs. I equally serve and chair over five committees at University of Calgary thus helping me hone my leadership, teamwork and representation skills that are important to my career. I intend to use my law degree and skills fulfill interest in legal career, promote justice and proper representation of my clients to the best of my knowledge.